Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Ode to Pantone's Color of the Year: Marsala

So the color of the year, according to Pantone is Marsala, and I've created a few looks in inspiration to that color.


According to Pantone Marsala is described as: "Much like the fortified wine that gives Marsala its name, this tasteful hue embodies the satisfying richness of a fulfilling meal while its grounding red-brown roots emanate a sophisticated, natural earthiness. This hearty, yet stylish tone is universally appealing and translates easily to fashion, beauty, industrial design, home furnishings and interiors."

It's a little frou-frou of a description for me, but basically this is a warm red-brown tone. 

Out of the polishes I have, and have recently acquired, I put together some nail art in inspiration of Marsala.

I don't know if you've heard, but KBShimmer, a great and affordable indie brand, has come out with a holo polish in inspiration of Marsala. It is called Men are from Mars-ala, and it is beautiful!

 photo A6123BA8-C725-4134-8FBD-85B5E0E4AE95_zpsg5bmbm9e.jpg

I paired Men Are From Mars-ala with Zoya Pepper, a great darkened brick red. This is a gorgeous creme and pairs well with so much! I used it a lot in the fall. 

 photo 8D0167C9-15A5-4ED7-8DEF-27AAC78B7CBD_zpsaqxpl679.jpg

To create the perfect single chevrons I used smART Nail Vinyls I won a contest from Serene at CopyCat Claws!

Anyway, on to the next look. For this look, I wasn't even trying to go for a Marsala nail look, it just ended up being that way. 

 photo DCEB00F1-4B14-4DCF-BB6A-F2C3480780C6_zpswlptwajz.jpg

I started out with a new to me indie Elevation Polish The Sea Was Red. I don't even know how to accurately describe this, but I was so very impressed with the quality and uniqueness of this polish. I seriously have nothing like this. 

 photo AC14F8E1-AEBD-463B-BEB0-7034750B9FFC_zpso3tfttzl.jpg

I paired it with Zoya Marnie (once again using smART Nail Vinyls), a creme polish I bought specifically because I thought it was a less brown version of the color of the year. Turns out it paired perfectly. I totally love it! This is a softer, more maroon/mauve-y version of the color of the year.

So what do you think, which did you like best? How do you feel about the color of the year? I quite like it, even though it can feel a bit dated. I still think there are ways to make it feel sophisticated.

No comments:

Post a Comment