Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Small yet meaningful


I went on a great interview today. I interviewed a woman who recently wrote, "That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life." The book, which was released Jan. 5, has been doing amazing and is on the bestseller's list for parenting books on Amazon.com.

While I am looking forward to reading the book, my conversation with her is what was so wonderful. After the business portion of my interview we chatted for an additional twenty minutes just getting to know one another. It was refreshing. I haven't met someone as interested in my life for a long time and I realized what a great trait that is to have.

I realize that I should probably get to know people more than I currently do at most interviews. I think she possessed a keen sense to get to know someone for networking's sake, but it didn't feel forced. She was genuinely interested.

Anyway we spoke of both of our thoughts on working with families in such a small town setting like Los Altos. I shared with her how sometimes I feel like I make such a small impact on the world when you think about it. I write about this one town. About 10 square miles of space does not make what I do all that important.

She reminded me of the impact the Town Crier has on the community, which was nice. She said that she was featured in an article in the New York Times but did not receive any comments in the aftermath of that article. A few months later, when we featured her (last year) she got so many comments from parents who said read about her in our paper.

She reminded me that people really value the Town Crier and what I write, while at some points might be a little trite or unimportant, is valuable to the extremely involved community that is Los Altos.

So while I'm not corresponding on items of national importance, I do make an impact with my writing. I have a small but meaningful career.

No comments:

Post a Comment