So I just ordered a Nook and I'm super excited about reading now!!! And now that it is summer I have much more time to do so. Anyway just spent some time browsing the web for options and suggestions (Publishers Weekly, NPR, Target Book Club) so now I have a variety of options that range from light to heavy to crazy.
Here is a list of books I'm interested in and hope to read over the next year or two. Let me know if you have read any of these and what you think, or if you'd like to read any of these with me!!! (Disregard the prices, for my reference only so I know ahead of time- they are for the Nook online store).
• These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf $8.69 21-year-old released from prison after a horrific crime. Family hates her as she tries to rebuild life post prison.
• One Day by David Nicholls $9.99 An episodic story takes place during a single day each year for two decades in the lives two characters who continue to intersect
• Wench by Dorothy Perkin-Valdez $9.99 A story about slave women and their owners who vacation with them in the free state of Ohio (temptations to be free vs. relationships and security).
• Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson $9.99 When Melinda Sordino's friends discover she called the police to quiet a party, they ostracize her, turning her into an outcast -- even among kids she barely knows. But even worse than the harsh conformity of high-school cliques is a secret that you have to hide.
• The Wednesday Sisters $9.99 A story about five women over generations defining family (Palo Alto based)
• Still Alice by Lisa Genova $11.99 A story about early onset Alzheimer’s
• Invisible Wall: A Love Story that Broke Barriers by Harry Bernstein $9.99 A story about Jews and Gentiles at the outbreak of WWI
• The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond $5.99 Tale of woman who goes missing on a walk, and a woman’s obsession with the mystery
• The Murderer’s Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers $9.99 Story of two sisters who are ultimately affected by their father’s murdering their mother.
• How to be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward $4.79 Perfect family loses child mysteriously, family unravels.
• Incendiary by Chris Cleave $9.99 Woman loses her husband and four-year-old to a suicide bombing at London soccer game.
• The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall $9.43 Golden Richards, a fundamentalist Mormon with four wives and 28 children, flirts with infidelity in this tragicomic family saga with a cast of flawed, perfectly realized characters.
• Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy $11.99 Cormac McCarthy's masterwork, Blood Meridian, chronicles the brutal world of the Texas-Mexico borderlands in the mid-nineteenth century. Its wounded hero, the teenage Kid, must confront the extraordinary violence of the Glanton gang, a murderous cadre on an official mission to scalp Indians and sell those scalps.
• Faithful Place by Tana French $12.99 Woman man plans to elope with disappears, thinks nothing of it until years later it looks like she didn’t leave on her own free will.
• A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read $8.99 Beginning of mystery series staring former socialite and journalist Madeline Dare
• The Things a Brother Knows by Dana Reinhardt (YA) $10.99 A story about brotherhood, never measuring up and what war can do to a family.
• What is Left The Daughter by Howard Norman $7.28 A story told through a series of letters about how one father’s past has shaped his entire life